After covering The United Nations, The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), and The Convention of the Rights Of The Child in our social studies classes this term, I successfully used Voki’s with my students to demonstrate their knowledge.
Here’s an outline of what I had them do:
- Visit www.voki.com
- Click on the create button in the top left hand corner
- Next, customize your character by gender, hairstyle, and clothing
- Once you are happy with your character click done
- Now it’s time to add the voice of your character. I would like you to make your character talk about important points you have recently learned about the United Nations
- You can either record your own voice or use the text to speech box.
- Once you’ve selected an appropriate voice for your character click done
- You can now publish your work – click publish
- You will be prompted to name your work: Use firstname and UN in capitals
- If you have not already created an account you will need to do so now – use your @mrlister.co.cc email address and DO NOT use your last name
- Once registered choose medium sized voki
- Copy all the text in the box labelled “For Most Sites Use This Code”
- Once you have the code for your Voki visit the following Google Document and paste your code under your name – http://bit.ly/hsohIT
Student engagement levels were particularly high during this assignment and I received some thoughtful responses. Here’s an example…
AC_Voki_Embed(200,267,”40fb56fdc05aa7ceb3bed7e9b22763a8″,3150442, 1, “”, 0);
Get a Voki now!